There are many fine churches in the City of London, between them sharing thousands of years’ worth of history and intrigue. On the banks of the River Thames, right by London Bridge, is the church of St Magnus the Martyr – originally built around 1,000 years ago but upgraded in the late 17th century following the great fire of London in 1666. The work was completed by London’s most famous architect Sir Christopher Wren, for the grand sum of £9,579 – at the time, a huge amount of money. But, for many visitors, the most astonishing fact about the church is a lump of wood displayed outside its front door and known to be at least 2,000 years old – it was pulled from the river during the construction of London Bridge and originally formed part of a Roman wharf allowing boats to dock in the heart of this commercial hub.
Find out more about St Magnus the Martyr and the Great Fire of London on our City of London tour. Click here for more information