There are plenty of buildings to photograph in Canterbury, with the magnificent cathedral rightly taking pride of place. But tourists are inexorably drawn to Sir John Boys’ House, below, which is often known as ‘the crooked house’ for obvious reasons. The house is named in memory of John Boys, the first recorder of Canterbury, who died in 1612 – through it may have been built a few years after his death. The distinctive crooked shape has been blamed on alterations to an internal chimney, which caused the whole structure to slip alarmingly. The astounding front door now only works because its corners have been shorn off to fit its frame, while a internal steel structure has now been fitted to ensure the building survival as an attraction for future generations of tourists.
Find out more about Sir John Boys on our Canterbury tour. Click here for more information